The Ultimate Guide on How to use a kitchen knife sharpener – Mou’s Awesome Review
For enjoyable cooking, it helps to have a sharp knife. Not only is cutting food easier, but you also get exact cuts too. Using a sharp knife also ends up being safer for you since it slices food gently, so you don’t have to use any measure of force. So, your knife doesn’t slip out of your control.
To keep a kitchen knife sharp, you need to sharpen it periodically. For some people, however, sharpening knives is a frightening task. Several questions pop up in their minds, like:
• How does one use a sharpener?
• Are there several kinds of knife sharpeners?
• Is there any particular method to it?
• Can anyone sharpen a knife?
Types of knife sharpener
There are several kinds of efficient knife sharpeners available, such as:
• Sharpening stones
• Electric sharpeners
• Rotating wheel sharpeners
• Stick sharpeners
• Ceramic knife sharpeners
• How to use a kitchen knife Sharpening stones
These sharpeners are a little difficult to use because they need a good deal of practice and are expensive, depending on the kind of stone you buy.
How to use a sharpening stone:
1. Set down the sharpening stone on the countertop with its coarse side facing upwards. Beneath the stone, place a wet cloth or paper towel so that it doesn’t slide when in use.
2. Hold the knife with one hand and point the edge of the knife against the stone so that the cutting edge touches the stone at an angle of 22. Now, push the blade across the length of the stone, not changing the angle of 22.
4. Now, turn the whetstone to its fine gravel side and sharpen it similarly. Lastly, use a sharpening steel to sharpen the blade. Wash and wipe the blade dry so that it’s free of metal particles.
• Electric knife sharpeners
These sharpeners are convenient to use if you’re sharpening knives that you use often. On the flip side, they are heavier than others in this category. Besides, as the user, you have less control over the entire process.
How to use an electric sharpener:
1. Place the knife blade in the sharpener’s slot. Press the hell of your knife down so that it makes contact with the sharpener. Begin with the knife’s heel area and slowly pull to the tip.
2. Pass the knife smoothly through the slot, holding the knife blade at a 15-20 angle. Automatically, the sharpener will set the angle of the knife handle as it goes along the slot and links up with the sharpener.
3. Switchblade sides so that the other side is also sharpened. To test if it is really sharpened, keep a tomato handy. If it slices easily, your knife is really sharp.
4. Now that you’re done with sharpening your knife wash and wipe it dry.
• Rotating wheel knife sharpeners
Rotating wheel sharpeners are very easy-to-use knife sharpeners. They have two tough wheels that rotate and intersect when a knife is passed through, thereby creating the right angle for blade sharpening.
2. Set the sharpener at the edge exactly opposite the rotating wheel. Now, let your knife pass through the rotating wheels at a 90 angle.
4. Wipe your knife dry so that you don’t experience any knife shavings.
• Ceramic stick knife sharpeners
This sharpener is distinctive for its two ceramic sticks and a carbide notch used for roughing.
How to use a ceramic stick sharpener:
2. Using your other hand, hold the knife sharpener tightly.
3. With gentle pressure, pull the blade right till the tip of the blade. Keep at it in this way till the knife is really sharp. The base of the knife sharpener that is non-slip in nature will ensure that it stays firm.
Now that you’ve spent a little time to learn a bit about How to use a kitchen knife sharpener for your needs, you’re sure to make the right buying decision for one. If you feel sure that the one you’re looking for is on these pages, head over to the store and buy it now.